Avery was born with a hereditary heart defect that put her at risk for arrhythmia. Avery had Medtronic’s Sprint Fidelis defibrillator lead that was prone to fracture, causing unnecessary electrical shocks. The wire was later recalled. Avery’s justice was denied.
Claude, a Montana native, was incredibly excited because he just got a great deal on a new pickup truck in Portland, Oregon. Claude was planning a one-way bus ride to collect his new truck, but Claude never got the chance to drive the truck off the lot.
While a college student, Charles spent his summers working at his dad’s warehouse stocking insulation products and cleaning up. Because of his familiarity with the product, he also helped with insulation prep and installation at various job sites.
Mary Brinson, 76, suffered from dementia and needed more living assistance than her sister Ann could provide for her. When Mary was admitted to a nursing home, Ann took care of the admissions forms, which was over 40 pages long and included a forced arbitration clause near the end.
Every year, 440,000 Americans die as a result of preventable medical errors, and countless more are injured.
Dean Cole suffered from dementia and his wife was no longer able to provide the special care he required. Dean was admitted into a local nursing home in Minnesota, where his wife was asked to sign lengthy admissions documents that included a forced arbitration clause.
Maiv’s family deserves justice, but outdated trucking insurance laws have left her family facing the high cost of medical care and other losses from the crash that stole Maiv’s autonomy.
Marjorie Fitzpatrick, 88, suffered from dementia, and as her disease progressed her family could no longer care for her on their own.
Anyone who seeks to limit accountability when Americans are killed by preventable medical errors should be aware of Blake’s story. Blake was a 19-year-old college student from Blacksburg, Virginia.
Every year, 440,000 Americans die as a result of preventable medical errors and many countless more are injured. States across America are considering legislation that would limit the rights of injured patients while providing no accountability for medical errors.
After serving in the Navy, David worked for 40 years at his family-run scrap yard. Part of his daily routine included beating insulation off the scrap metal, causing asbestos fibers to fill the air and his lungs.
Research has found that 440,000 Americans die every year from preventable medical errors each year.
Health care providers and hospitals should be accountable for the care they provide, or the care they should have provided. When lawmakers seek to limit their responsibility, it puts the safety of all of us at risk.
Sophie was in college working on her Environmental Studies degree, when she began taking two generic drugs prescribed to help clear her complexion. However, instead of a clear skin, Sophie experienced multiple pulmonary emboli and almost died.
Conor was an “A” student and elite swimmer, on the way to earning a collegiate swimming scholarship. In 2011 he was diagnosed with colitis—inflammation of the colon and large intestine—after taking Claravis, the generic version of Accutane, a drug used to treat acne.
Debbie graduated with a degree from a major university in Cellular Biology/Physiology. She wanted a career caring for people and decided to further her education so that she could become a surgical technician. Lamson College, a local school in Tempe, Ariz.
Horace was a veteran of World War II.
When Tia began working for Circuit City, she never imagined that her supervisor and mentor would assault and sexually harass her. She also had no idea that there was a clause hidden in the fine print of the employment contract that would grant Circuit City a license to steal her access to justice.
In 2008, a car accident left Richard with a serious cervical spine injury. Emergency room physicians placed him in a cervical collar but never detected the injury and later ordered it removed. The result was devastating. Richard was paralyzed.
It was a cold and snowy day in western Pennsylvania. The family minivan carrying 10 year-old Davanna was stopped at a red light. Without warning, the sound of a semi-truck’s horn pierced the air. But it was too late.
Beulah, 90, suffered from dementia and a stroke that left her unable to speak or care for herself. Eventually, Beulah was transferred to a nursing home with the hope that she would receive the professional care she now required.
Howard thought he was going in for a routine hip replacement. He had a plastic hip implanted 16 years prior with no problems. He was given what his doctor called the “latest and greatest” in hip technology, a Smith and Nephew metal-on-metal hip. Ten months after the surgery, his nightmare
Frances Carroll, 91, was no longer able to take care of herself, suffering from dementia, blood pressure issues as well as skin cancer. She was admitted to a nursing home to receive the professional care she needed. Her daughter, Sarah, signed the admittance forms.
All James wanted was to fund his small business with a loan provided by a business partner. Once the loan was authorized, the money would show up in James’ bank account - which he could then use to pay bills.
As a young man, James served in the Navy performing engine room maintenance. After his honorable discharge, James went to work as a machinist, technician and maintenance general at a rubber plant in Pennsylvania.
Terry began taking Reglan in 1998 for Acid Reflux. His pharmacist switched him to the generic version when it became available. Despite the fact that Reglan was originally introduced for short-term use, Terry was prescribed the drug for more than 12 years.
Carlos grew up in rural Georgia where he shared a one bedroom apartment with five other people. With the desire to serve his country, he turned down academic scholarships to the University of Georgia and Wofford College to enter the Navy.
Roberta Powers, 83, suffered from dementia and diabetes and was living in a nursing home to receive the everyday care she needed. When Roberta checked into the nursing home, a family member signed the admissions forms – one of which included a forced arbitration clause.